|Mohawk / EH302|
|Faction|| - AAF|
|Type||Medium-Lift Transport / Utility Helicopter|
|Seats|| All variants: 18 seats:
|Item capacity|| Max: 5000 kg
|Top speed||~ 330 km/h|
|Service ceiling||~ 3,000 m|
|Fuel capacity||2000 L|
|Secondary armament|| Defensive:
- Medium-lift cargo transport
- Troop transport
|«|| A successor to the wide-spread Merlin, the CH-49 Mohawk is a primary transport used by the AAF. It can carry up to 16 soldiers plus crew. Besides the transport version, many other versions of the Mohawk exist, serving effectively in evac, anti-submarine warfare, or armed air support roles. Upgrades from its predecessor consist of more powerful engines and construction changes fully utilizing modern materials.|
The Mohawk is a conventionally designed, four-bladed, rotary-wing helicopter that is powered by three engines. Its intended primary use is for transporting troops into battle, although it can also be used as a luxury V.I.P transport, for slingloading military cargo, or as a civilian freight transporter as well.
It has an aft ramp which allows for the two rear passengers to shoot out of the helicopter while it is open, and can be controlled either by the pilot or the two passengers. This design also makes it so that the Mohawk that it has a higher positioned tail rotor, making it less prone to having its rotors damaged during landings.
The Mohawk is (especially for its size) the fastest out of the medium/heavy-lift helicopters currently available in Arma 3; due in large part to its three-engine design which enables to it reach a top speed of up to 330 km/h.
The Mohawk does have somewhat ungainly handling as a consequence of its large airframe, however. In terms of manoeuvrability, it handles significantly poorer in contrast to NATO's Ghost Hawk or CSAT's Mi-290, while also having a much more higher risk of taking heavy damage or even being outright destroyed in hard landings.
The other downside is that it is completely unarmed, relying solely on its RWR and countermeasures to evade anti-air threats.
The Mohawk has a seating capacity of eighteen personnel (including the crew). This consists of both the pilot and co-pilot, and up to sixteen passengers.
- CH-49 Mohawk: Baseline military variant. Used exclusively by the AAF.
- EH302: Civilian variant used by NGO aid workers. It is functionally identical in all aspects to the baseline Mohawk aside from using a custom paint scheme with IDAP livery, and lacking countermeasure flares.
- Digital Green: Digitised three-tone green/olive semi-fractal camouflage pattern.
- ION: Two-tone black/white paint scheme with yellow streaks. Custom livery used by the ION Services private military company.
- Dahoman: Two-tone white/dark green paint scheme with yellow streaks. Livery used by civilian transportation services.
- IDAP: Flat white paint scheme with additional livery in the form of IDAP logos and signage. Used exclusively by the EH302.
Designed exclusively for transporting troops and cargo, the Mohawk has only one type of sensor available:
The Mohawk does not utilise an active radar as it does not have any armament.
Infrared Search and Track/Visual Sensor
The Mohawk does not have the ability to detect targets visually or through IRST.
Radar Warning Receiver/Passive Radar
The RWR has a 360 degree detection radius and a target recognition range of 12 km.
Laser Spot Tracker
The Mohawk does not have the ability to lock onto laser marks or infrared strobes.
The Mohawk has a maximum lifting capacity of 5000 kg, and is able to slingload and transport a variety of vehicles including:
|Assault Boat/Rescue Boat||565|
|AWC Nyx 302 (AA)||4950|
|AWC Nyx 301 (AT)/304 (Autocannon)||4900|
|AWC Nyx 303 (Recon)||4820|
|Hatchback (all variants)||1090|
|MB 4WD (AT)||1841|
|MB 4WD (LMG)||3997|
|MQ4A Greyhawk/K40 Ababil-3||3000|
|Prowler (all variants)||3413|
|Qilin (all variants except AT)||3924|
|Van Transport/Van (Ambulance)*||5015|
|UGV Stomper/UGV Saif (all variants)||4266|
(*) See note in the Mohawk's section in the Slingloading article for an explanation on this discrepancy.
It is also able to carry:
- Supply boxes
- Items in cargo nets, including the Cargo Net [NATO], Cargo Net (Box), and Cargo Net (Barrels) pallets/crates, as well as Cargo Net (Sacks)
The Mohawk is the AAF's only heavy airlift vehicle and its lifting capabilities do not match up to the abilities of the Huron and the Mi-290. For example, the Mohawk is unable to lift any variant of the AAF's MRAP.
Even though the Strider is amphibious unlike the MRAPs of the other factions, the AAF is nonetheless at a significant disadvantage in heavy lifting options, as the Mohawk is also unable to transport Speedboats and heavy transport trucks like the Zamak family.
Fortunately however, it remains capable of transporting the AWC Nyx family of tankettes, which greatly assists the latter when it comes to addressing their mobility issues.
- As stated in its Field Manual entry, the Mohawk is based off the real-world AgustaWestland "AW101 Merlin" helicopter, otherwise also designated as the "Merlin HC3" by the Royal Air Force.
- Similarly to both the NATO Ghost Hawk and Huron, the Mohawk's side doors cannot be manually opened by the player but are automatically opened and closed when either entering the helicopter as a passenger, or when getting into the co-pilot's seat. The rear ramp however, can be opened by either the pilot or the two passengers sitting in the rear FFV-enabled seats.
- Besides enabling the rear two passengers to fire out of the helicopter, the ramp's purpose is largely aesthetic and does not prevent passengers from either entering or exiting the Mohawk regardless of whether it is closed or not.
- The Mohawk has an unused "Luxurious" interior model in the game files. It is likely that this was intended to have been used on a V.I.P transport variant of the civilian Mohawk.
- Prior to the release of the Tac-Ops DLC, the Mohawk had the same maximum slingload weight capacity as the NATO UH-80 Ghost Hawk (4000 kg). This was later refactored with the release of Game Update 1.78, which increased it to 5000 kg instead.
Aircraft of comparable role and configuration
|AAF - Vehicles (ArmA 3)|
|Wheeled||Strider • AFV-4 Gorgon • Quadbike • UGV Stomper • Zamak (MLR)|
|Tracked||AWC Nyx • FV-720 Mora • MBT-52 Kuma|
|Rotor-wing||AR-2 Darter • AL-6 Pelican • CH-49 Mohawk • WY-55 Hellcat|
|Fixed-wing||A-143 Buzzard • A-149 Gryphon • K40 Abalil-3|
|Aquatic||Assault boat • Speedboat • Swimmer delivery vehicle|
|Jets DLC | Laws of War DLC | Tanks DLC|