|«|| The Designated Marksman Rifle is a semi-automatic, gas-operated rifle. It is a modified and accuracy-increased version of the M14 rifle and is used extensively by the US Marine Corps. This weapon uses 7.62x51 NATO cartridges and is highly prized for its power, light weight and rapid, but accurate fire.|
|DMR 7.62 mm|
|Type||Designated Marksman Rifle|
|Caliber||7.62×51 mm NATO|
The DMR is a gas operated battle rifle with a rotating bolt that is chambered to fire the 7.62×51 mm NATO round.
It loads from 20 round box magazines and can only attain a rate of fire of up to 600 rounds per minute, with a muzzle velocity of 900 m/s. The DMR is only available in a single model that is fitted with a sniper scope that has a magnification strength range of 5x-14x, and has a bipod attached beneath the barrel (though the latter is merely cosmetic as with all non-optical accessories in ArmA 2). It has a minimum zeroing range of 120 metres and a maximum of 400 metres.
The weapon of choice of conventional U.S. Marine and Force Recon marksmen alike, the DMR is an all-round decent sharpshooter weapon. Unlike its U.S. Army counterpart, the DMR's use of a sniper scope allows the operator to reliably engage targets at distances of up to 800 metres by default.
Notably, it is also the only marksman rifle with a sniper scope that can be used in conjunction with night vision goggles. This makes it one of the few medium-long ranged weapons that are useful under all lighting conditions, and does not need to rely on separate thermal/night vision-capable scopes like the M110.
- The DMR's optical scope is based on the "Mk4" riflescope designed by Leupold Optics, while the bipod is based on the "1A2-L" designed by Harris Bipods.
- In real-life, the USMC's "Designated Marksman Rifle" that the in-game DMR is based on was replaced by the "M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle" in 2010.
- Most USMC DMRs were already phased out of service at that point by other marksmen rifles like the "Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle", which is conspicuously not present in ArmA 2 despite it having been in USMC service for 8 years by the time of the game's release.
- The M39 itself was also eventually replaced in 2012 by the real-world "M110 SASS".
- The DMR is shown to be Sergeant Sykes's weapon of choice, as he is armed with it throughout almost every mission in Harvest Red.
Weapons of comparable role and configuration
|USMC - Armory (ArmA 2)|
|Handguns||M1911 .45 • M9 9 mm|
|Submachine guns||MP5 9 mm|
|Assault rifles||M16A4 5.56 mm (M16A4 M203) • M4A1 5.56 mm (M4A1 M203)|
|Designated marksman rifles||DMR 7.62 mm • Mk12 SPR 5.56 mm|
|Sniper rifles||M107 .50 • M24 7.62 mm (M40A3)|
|Squad automatic weapons||M249 SAW 5.56 mm|
|Machineguns||Mk 48 Mod 0 7.62 mm • M240 7.62 mm|
|Launchers||FGM-148 Javelin • FIM-92F Stinger • M136 • SMAW|
|Static||M119A1 • M2 • M252 • MK 19 • Stinger • TOW|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants.|