IR laser pointers are infrared laser sights.
When toggled on, laser pointers emit a continuous beam of light on the infrared spectrum that can only be seen by people wearing night vision goggles or any other night vision-capable electronic device. Laser pointers are useful for helping team mates identify their position to other friendly soldiers and for co-ordinating fire by pinpointing targets in darkness.
However, caution must be exercised when using laser pointers against enemies who also have access to night vision equipment, as they will easily give away the position of the user.
In earlier titles, the attachment was mounted on specific weapons by default (such as the Mk16/Mk17 families of rifles). Certain weapons like the XM8 also featured integrated laser sights. They could not be removed and were a part of the weapon's functionality.
- Laser pointer models varied (depending on the weapon) from the "AN/PEQ-2 TPIAL" to the "AN/PEQ-15 APTIAL" in previous games. Both are designed by subsidiaries of L3 Technologies (L3 Insight Technology and EOTech respectively).
- The IR laser pointers on the M16A4/M4A1 series of weapons in ArmA 2 lacked any functionality and were merely cosmetic. Only the weapons introduced with Operation Arrowhead and its subsequent DLCs actually included working laser pointers, such as the L85 family of assault rifles.
- The XM8 family introduced in ArmA 2: PMC is unique for being the only weapon platform in the entire series that features an integrated laser sight. This is because the real-life "Integrated Sighting Module" used by the XM8 family is a red dot/telescopic sight combined with a laser aiming module.
- The ArmA 3 IR Laser Pointer is based on the real-life "Dual Beam Aiming Laser - Advanced2" made by Steiner Defense.
- Unlike the real DBAL-A2 however, the in-game IR laser pointer lacks the ability to toggle between a visible red/green laser or an infrared illuminator.
|Weapon attachments of ArmA 3|
|Collimators||ACO • MRD • Yorris J2|
|Holographic sights||Mk17 Holosight|
|Riflescopes||ARCO • ERCO • MRCO • RCO|
|Sniper scopes||AMS • DMS • Kahlia • LRPS • MOS|
|Thermal/Night vision||TWS (MG) • Nightstalker • NVS|
|Aiming devices||IR laser pointer|
|Suppressors||Sound Suppressor (6.5 mm) (.338 / .45 ACP / 5.56 mm / 5.8 mm / 7.62 mm / 9 mm / 9.3 mm)|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants. | Marksmen DLC | Apex DLC ||