|«|| The light infantry machine gun 85 is an iteration of a special purpose weapon. Combining a high fire-rate and relatively easy maintenance, it was adopted by several armies around the world. It features standard accessory rails and 200-round box 5.56x45 mm magazines. It weighs 7.1 kilograms, which is less than its predecessors.|
|LIM-85 5.56 mm|
|Faction|| - Syndikat|
|Type||Light Machine Gun / SAW|
|Caliber||5.56×45 mm NATO|
The LIM-85 is a belt fed, gas operated, selective-fire light machine gun that is chambered to fire the 5.56×45 mm NATO round.
It feeds from 200 round linked belts stored in plastic boxes, and has a variable rate of fire that ranges from 400 up to 800 rounds per minute (depending on fire mode) with a muzzle velocity of 915 m/s. The LIM-85 is capable of having accessories fitted to its top and side rails, and can also mount attachments onto its muzzle. It does not accept underbarrel accessories due to using an integrated grip pod.
Compared to the AAF's Mk200, the LIM-85's recoil is slightly harder to manage but it has better accuracy that is on par with assault rifles such as the MX. In addition, despite not being chambered to fire caseless ammunition like the Mk200, the LIM-85's 5.56 mm boxes are much lighter to carry.
However, this somewhat limits the LIM-85's effective range to roughly 580 metres or less, as beyond that distance the 5.56 mm ammunition that the LIM-85 uses does not retain much of its energy. This means that it suffers considerably from damage drop-off the further a target is located, as well as having sub-optimal penetration capability against armoured targets (as opposed to the Mk200's 6.5 mm or the Zafir's 7.62 mm ammunition, for instance).
- The LIM-85 appears to be based on the "Mk 46 Mod 1", a variant of the "M249 SAW" that was previously the standard-issue LMG of the U.S. military (the latter is currently in the process of being phased out from service).
- It is the only SAW in ArmA 3 that grants the operator the ability to adjust its fire rate of while remaining fully automatic. Other machine guns either do not have the ability to toggle fire modes, or can only switch between semi-auto/burst fire instead.
- Prior to the release of the Tac-Ops DLC, the LIM-85 was exclusively a Syndikat-only weapon. It was later changed with the release of the DLC's first scenario, Beyond Hope, which showed the weapon in use by government loyalists as well (the predecessors of the modern-day FIA).
See also Edit
Weapons of comparable role and configuration Edit
- MX SW (NATO counterpart)
- SPAR-16S (CTRG counterpart, ArmA 3: Apex only)
- Zafir (Mediterranean CSAT counterpart)
- CAR-95-1 (Pacific CSAT counterpart, ArmA 3: Apex only)
- Mk200 (AAF/Loyalist/FIA counterpart)
|Syndikat - Armory (ArmA 3)|
|Handguns||PM 9 mm|
|Assault rifles||AK-12 7.62 mm (AK-12 GL) • AKS-74U 5.45 mm • AKM 7.62 mm|
|Squad automatic weapons||LIM-85 5.56 mm|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants. | Apex DLC|