|Type||Self-Propelled Rocket Artillery|
|Seats|| 2 seats:
|Item capacity|| Max: 3000 kg
|Top speed||64 km/h|
|Fuel capacity||1885 L|
|Primary armament|| Main:
|Secondary armament|| Defensive:
|Variants||M2A1 Slammer, M2A4 Slammer UP, M4 Scorcher|
The M5 Sandstorm is an armoured, self-propelled, multiple rocket launcher used by NATO forces.
- Indirect fire support
|«|| The Swedish Multiple Launch Rocket System is a replacement of the original U.S. MLRS platform. Built in 2021, it utilizes smaller rockets equipped with modern engines, resulting in longer range and accuracy. The launch pod is mounted on a Slammer chassis and loads 12 unguided rockets.|
Sharing the same chassis as its MBT parent, the Sandstorm is essentially a mobile rocket battery on treads. It can accurately deliver high-explosive rockets with a dispersion of less than 100 m on targets more than 11 km away in a single salvo.
The Sandstorm's standard loadout has the launcher pod pre-loaded with 12 high-explosive (HE) 230mm rockets. These rockets can damage, if not outright destroy even MBTs with indirect impacts, making the Sandstorm a highly valuable asset in any situation.
Care must be taken with the Sandstorm's operation however, as even though it retains the same protection levels as its parent vehicle like its gun-armed counterpart, it completely lacks any form of defensive weaponry that would allow it to defend itself within a reasonable capacity. Even though direct fire is possible by aiming the launcher at the enemy, it is highly inaccurate at close ranges and is generally considered to be a waste of the Sandstorm's limited munitions.
The Sandstorm has a seating capacity of just two personnel for a crew consisting of the driver and gunner.
It can fire all 12 rockets in 10 seconds, giving it the fastest firing rate of any artillery piece in ArmA 3. In addition, it also has the greatest range of any artillery piece in ArmA 3.
The Sandstorm has four range modes available for firing:
- Close range: 799 to 4,604 meters (ETA 43-31 seconds)
- Medium range: 3,198 to 18,418 meters (ETA 86-64 seconds)
- Far range: 7,196 to 41,442 meters (ETA 129-94 seconds)
- Full range: 12,793 to ~73,866 meters (ETA 172-124 seconds)
Overlaps occur in the following ranges:
- 3,198-4,604 meters (Close and Medium)
- 7,196-12,793 meters (Medium and Far)
- 12,974-18,418 meters (Medium, Far, and Full)
- 18,419-41,442 meters (Far and Full)
This means that the Sandstorm can potentially land the entirety of its terrifying 12 missile volley on a single target within just over 3 seconds if the target distance is between 12,974-18,418 meters.
- The Sandstorm's rocket launcher pod is based on the M993 Launcher used by the real-world "M270 MLRS".
- Functionally, the Sandstorm's overall role and operation is also similar to that of the Russian-made "TOS-1 Buratino". Like the Sandstorm, the Buratino combines an MRL pod with a tank chassis.
- In contrast to previous games in the series, the Sandstorm is currently the only rocket-based artillery vehicle of its kind in ArmA 3.