|«|| The XM8 was the US Army project name for new lightweight assault rifle system. US Army hoped to create new standard and highly modifiable infantry rifle but in 2005, the project was formally canceled. ~7500 prototypes of this weapon still exist, now held by the US Army.|
The weapon was designed to use 5.56x45mm NATO cartridges and is able to fire up to 750 rounds per minute.
- As mentioned in its Armoury Description, the real-life Heckler & Koch "XM8" rifle was originally slated to replace both the "M16" rifle and "M4" carbine series of weapons throughout the U.S. Armed Forces prior its formal cancellation in 2005.
- Along with the Mk16/Mk17 family, it is one of the few modular rifle platforms that are currently available for use in ArmA 2. It would only be matched by the MX series in ArmA 3, which is almost identical to the XM8 in terms of the types of variants that it has.
- Though it was actually included on ArmA 2's release, the XM8 family only included the basic variants without additional optical sights and accessories, while also remaining unused by any faction prior to the release of the Private Military Company DLC.
- Hidden models and textures for the XM8 were previously available in ArmA: Armed Assault. They were eventually removed after the release of Patch 1.08 however, which implies that they were intended to make their debut in that game instead of in ArmA 2.
See also Edit
Weapons of comparable role and configuration Edit
- Mk16/Mk17 (U.S. Army counterpart, ArmA 2: OA only)
- G36 (KSK counterpart, ArmA 2: OA only)
- MX (NATO counterpart, ArmA 3 only)
|ION Services - Armory (ArmA 2)|
|Assault rifles||FN FAL 7.62 mm • M16A2 M203 5.56 mm • M4A1 5.56 mm • XM8 series (XM8, XM8 M320, XM8 Compact)|
|Designated marksmen rifles||XM8 Sharpshooter 5.56 mm|
|Sniper rifles||AS50 12.7 mm • KSVK 12.7 mm|
|Squad automatic weapons||XM8 Automatic Rifle 5.56 mm|
|Machineguns||PKM 7.62 mm|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants. | Operation Arrowhead | Private Military Company|